Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ah, spring!

The view from my porch is pure heaven this morning! Nature accidentally shipped us some weeks of May in April. The air is make-you-want-to-run-around-the-yard warm and smells extra rich with oxygen. Sequins of dew glisten in the grass. Trees wear new-baby fuzz of green and rose. The birds whistle to each other, enjoying the view from their own porches. And here I sit, queen of all I survey, pecking on Minnie, my lovable laptop.

I wasn't this happy a few weeks ago. I ran into a rough patch when I felt as if my muse had not only deserted me but had come to the wrong address in the first place. I was stuck, stuck, stuck, and I despised everything I wrote. I do not pooh-pooh fortune-cookie fortunes. The one I drew read "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." So I kept slogging. I also needed this quote from Ellen Potter's interview on my friend Clara Gillow Clark's neat blog: "Things I hate about writing: I guess I don’t really hate anything about writing, but there are lots of times when I slam my head down on my desk and moan, 'This is hard!'” I eventually saw where I had wandered off course. My muse and I reconnected. I learned/relearned a few things that I hope will make me a better writer. Writing is not for the faint of heart. There sloughs of despond, but there are green fields, too.

I still think I'm a pretty lucky person.

6 comments:

  1. Marileta--Check out my post from yesterday..You'll see what I saw from my porch...giant hailstones all around. They even filled the bird's nest in my lilac tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sharon! April is a crazy month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toby, you're welcome back to write on my porch anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see you, Marileta. I love your descriptions. . .sequins of dew and baby fuzz of green and rose. It made me want to run around your yard with you. It does call up the child in us, doesn't it? And, oh, thanks for the shout out.

    Delighted that Toby has sprinkled her whimsy over you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad the muse is back, marileta. the weekend in milanville seems to have inspired mine to return, as well.,

    good writing karma in your general direction . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Tim, and glad to hear it. And thanks for your good input at the workshop.

    ReplyDelete